Song for Medulla Oblongata.





The 'Medulla'



Dream fuelled sketch
(click on for a clearer viewin)




The start of this tale begins with "Sex on Fire" by Kings of Leon, and a re-imagining of the world of the song, to tell the story of the Medulla Oblongata (Mo for the short).

'Mo' forms part of the lowest area of the brain,  and hence as you will see has been picked upon by bits of brain above it under the false perception of 'hierarchies'.

This all started with my recent interest in the evolution of the brain and the idea of it being a living thing, (akin to the theory that all particles of matter are 'alive' in a sense, they react, and are connected, which is a further dabble to come) and dabbling also in the possibility of communicating in some form with these 'living' things.  I tried meditating to something specific, but at this stage I hadn't connected to anything, but what happened shortly afterwards opened up an unusual path.

The results flooded a dream of mine, and then upon waking, through a hurried sketch and colouring.  It seemed as though as I had made contact with something.  A specific part of the brain, the Medulla Oblongata.  And this is the story I have translated.

The fragments I experienced in the dream are as follows:

It's night, it's very cold, I see a big fleshy thing (a giant Medulla, with feelings, and sad face of sorts), moving somehow, in the street, (not a shuffle, nor a huddling) whilst the kings of leon trawl through leaf litter in my room (latched on from elsewhere in the psyche this bit I assume).  I call out and ask if it's ok, and beckon MO in through my window,whilst holding the band back behind me with arms outstretched, as their curiosity mixed with fear and anger at what was happening.
MO told of its sadness (I do feel that it was slightly a woman). Of how what it named 'Big Brain'* had attacked MO's confidence and worth. And this, I could not take silently.

*note on Big Brain - at 18seconds into the song, you can hear Big Brain trying to make it's presence felt, with possibly it's first recorded reaction via sound,  which turns out to be a cocky-moan.  

Hence came the song, the picture, the plight, it fit so right.  MO does so much more in it's duties I researched and realised, and did not deserve these lies, and so I yelled the truth, in a manner nudged into being by the band being there.   And when the chorus hit, putting both versions flush to each other to compare, the power and assertion meant much to Medulla Oblongata.


Listen out for Medulla herself singing in those higher octaves, gaining in confidence, AND, I urge you to try at least once to sing the new words along to the song, with a little gusto, and see how it feels for you. 


The Song



video

No comments:

Post a Comment